Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer said he only heard about the departure of Fernando Alonso when his move to Aston Martin was officially announced.
Alonso’s shock move to replace Sebastian Vettel from 2023 on a multi-year deal came on Monday morning, as Formula 1’s summer break got underway.
Alonso said last week that his future with Alpine could have been decided in “10 minutes” of talks, but his switch of teams came as a big surprise to the whole Formula 1 community – and not least to Alpine themselves.
They had been in talks with Alonso over a new deal from next season, but the two-time World Champion accepted the advances of Lawrence Stroll to head to the Silverstone team instead, swiping him from under Alpine’s noses.
The Alpine team principal confirmed he had been assured by Alonso that nothing had been signed over the weekend, but the move has now been announced and he has not contacted him since then.
“It was the first confirmation I had,” Szafnauer said…